11.12.2010

Now That It's Not So Crowded

Dear Pain,
You knocked so lightly, I almost didn't hear you, but you let yourself in like you usually do. You always come at just the right times, you'll never desert me. You have such a good memory and never forget a thing. My, what a painter you are! You paint such vivid pictures, I feel like I'm inside them, and you give them to me for free.
Such a faithful companion, you even sing me to sleep and whisper stories in my ear on my pillow. Sometimes you even hold me close and vow you'll never leave--you'll never let me go, and you insist I shouldn't worry.

Dear Fear,
We've gotten close lately, I see you everywhere. You hold my hand when I'm alone or when it's dark. You are so observant and always make sure I'm alert--pointing out things to be wary of.
You hug me and hold me and tuck the covers around me. You kiss my dreams and turn out the lights and reassure me that you're by my side. I see your face in the mirror or on the wall. You like to play hide and seek, but you always win. You always find me.


Dear God,
I want to invite you to dinner, but my friends Pain and Fear are a little shy. They say You don't know them. They think You don't like them. Whenever you come over, they go away. Sometimes I miss them; sometimes I don't even notice their absence. When we all have dinner together, Fear won't sit next to You and Pain turns sickly and weak. Perhaps it's best if they take a break while You're here. They don't like to fight for a spot by my side or to hold my hand. They don't like standing behind You in line. And You're bigger than they are--I think You intimidate them.
Sometimes they worry You do a better job at keeping me company than they do. I assured them that You three have very different jobs, so they don't need to worry. But I think there's a recession. I've been reading a book You wrote and it says that that employment opportunities are scarce for Pain and Fear. I suggested they start looking elsewhere because I'm running out of food for them. I can't afford to put them up much longer. But when they've gone, I might get lonely. Will You come around more often? You're always welcome to stay...now that it's not so crowded.

Sincerely,
Nadine

1 comment:

Mumstheword said...

This needs to be published!! So ministering! The Lord has gifted you Nadine to minister to others through your precious words which I know were inspired!