12.01.2010

Desperate Cooking

When approaching finals week, a student is faced with an unpleasant adjustment of eating habits. This means inhaling a bowl of cereal (whether fresh or left over from last night's studying) without allowing it to pass over the taste buds (takes too much time) in order to make it to class. After class is finished, homework screams bloody murder and you suddenly remember that paper that was due yesterday. Lunch is nothing more than a luxury forgotten around 3pm. Once home, dinner looms. Do you have time to pre-heat the stove and throw in a pot-pie? Or do you settle for cereal again?


Being a graduate student myself with my own kitchen, I've resisted some of these forced adjustments, but only to an extent. Tonight I find myself working on my take-home final that is due tomorrow (I thought I had an extra week. Lucky me). I realize it's 6pm and I'm trying to remember if I had lunch...or breakfast. Dirty dishes on my homework desk tell me "yes".

I open the fridge. Nothing looks appealing. I open the cupboard. Tomato sauce and some cream of chicken soup. Hm...what if I just made a casserole of sorts? That's usually just eggs, milk, and some sort of meat, right? And it's always good over rice.

Rice.

I fling open the cupboard above the stove. There's about a tablespoon of rice in a rolled up bag. That'll do. No where's the pot? Dirty? Hm.....I'll just mix the rice with the casserole and hope it cooks. I scoop the rice into a glass loaf-pan. Eggs come next. I only have one egg left in the carton and it expired exactly one month ago. Crack. Smells fine, so it joins the rice.




Chicken? I don't have time to cook it. Instead, I pull out a can of tuna--it's pretty much the same, right? Add a dash of milk (aka. whatever's left in the carton), a handful of grated cheese, and stir. Shouldn't there be vegetables? I pull out the half-used carton of mushrooms. They are black and squishy. Okay, no vegetables. The oven is preheated, I toss in half a can of cream-of-chicken and shove it in the oven.

Once it is done, it looks a bit like a loaf of tuna-bread with bits of uncooked rice in it. I scoop half onto my plate with the plastic, I-may-snap-in-half-any-day serving spoon. I try a cheesy forkful. It's absolutely scrumptrulescent (a college word for "exactly what my stomach didn't realize it needed").

Who would have thought?

.

2 comments:

Millie Hindby said...

I love you and you're ridiculous.
Just take good care of yourself and eat well :)

Anonymous said...

You were always the one who would take the time to cook interesting things! That sounds pretty creative compared to my mac and cheese.

I'm loving your writing style and funny descriptions :) Good pacing, too!