11.15.2011

NaNoWriMo Turtle

Why is it so difficult to sit and write 10,000 words about characters that I adore, yet so easy to write a research paper on evidence-based practice guidelines for prosody in dysarthria (bored yet?)? Day 1 of my November challenge found me completing dull, brain-scorching homework in the same amount of time it took me to spit out one word of lovely novelness.
Day 2 found me grappling with the keyboard at 10 minutes until midnight (still, success was mine!).
Day 3, I crouched between the wall and my bed with the space heater on high and the sound of outside drizzle for inspiration. I turned on my electronic coaster (dorky, but amazing!) and sipped Huckleberry Hot Cocoa (my writing drink!) with 35 minutes until I had to leave for work.
Day 4: Lost track of time writing--best moment of irresponsibility ever!
Day 5: Time ran away and not a single letter was birthed on my computer. :(
Day 6 was momentous, as if someone else was writing and thinking for me. Not only did my mental outline break through writer's block, but my fingers typed out a whoppin' 700 words! Compare that to day 5's giant glowing "0".

The conclusion:

We are at the halfway mark--us WriMo-ers (day 15). . The past four days have slipped through my writer-less fingers and I was jumpstarted by a pep-talk e-mail from the NaNoWriMo website. It kindly patted the backs of those who've been diligently writing and politely scolded those who have given up hope. It nudged those of us who've lost track of time amidst busy lives and encouraged us to start up again. So here I sit. The computer screen remains daunting, but I've had four days of inspiration build up in the storehouses of my mind. I will continue to push, though the going is slow. The turtle won the race, right? I can be a turtle. Steady...gradual. I am turtle.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

You can do it, Nadine!! Write, write, write!!!