3.25.2011

An Adjective Life

.
Words are everywhere--in our eyes, on our lips, on a page, in the sky, in our thoughts. They can be written with more variation than snowflakes--beautiful, sloppy, crooked, smooth. Soft, small, joined, separate. I love rearranging words. I love poking them and watching them come alive.
But some words rub me wrong. I have a list of words that I don't want in my life--words that never get tacked to the cork-board of "Nadine's Story".

Mundane
Routine
Boring
Stagnant
Safe
Average

Flip the paper over and you'll find a list of words I hope and pray paint themselves across my story's stained glass:

Believe
Impact
Frontline
Courage
Love
Unique
Action

I want my life to be the furthest from ordinary as possible. I want the faith of Hadassah from The Mark of the Lion Series. I want the heart of Jean Valjean from Les Miserables. I want adventure like Christian in The Pilgrim's Progress and courage like Joan of Arc. Determination like Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games. An ending worthy of pasting between the covers of Jesus Freaks Volume 1.
If an author chose to write about my life, I'd want her to have to pull out a thesaurus. I'd want her to grow frustrated because she can't find the right words. I'd want her to search through different languages for the perfect descriptors. In the end, I'd want her to never find them.
I want my life to be so unique that no one can ever doubt it's God. I want absolutely everything to point to Him in a way that His power and greatness are unmistakable. I know it's possible. I believe it's possible. Only He can balance His glory with my own desires.
He can do it. He will do it. With His words and His language...it can't go wrong. He has His own thesaurus. In it, my very name is an adjective.




"My brethren, delight yourself in the Lord,
And He will give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4
.

1 comment:

ashley said...

good blog and I can relate to it. I don't want just a 'normal' life either. Since becoming a mother, I've been so afraid my life with just be mundane. A typical stay at home wife/mother's life. I want to be the person who is different. I want to teach my daughter amazing things. I want to show her to find the good in everyone..to never say a mean word about anybody (drives me crazy when someone nit picks at a person) I want to teach her kindness, honesty and generosity...and lots more good things. I want to teach her to be an active christian and not just stagnant. I don't want her to say "oh thats a sad situation" or whatever and not do anything about it.