3.01.2011

Freeday

Today feels like Friday. I drove with windows down, music loud, and a sunglass-wink to the sun. Today is Tuesday, but it's the feeling that matters. Everyone sighs. Friday, on occasion, is even more enjoyable than Saturday. There are multiple reasons this applies to my life, four of which are:

1. I have no class on Friday.

2. "Friday" is the only day of the week with the letter i in it--my favorite letter (yes, I have a favorite letter, and I know it is looked down upon by teamwork-enhancing motivational speakers).

3. It is the day before Saturday (aka. a day filled with hope, anticipation, and growing smiles...and frantic traffic).

4. His Girl Friday, is a fabulous Cary Grant movie. His Girl Saturday just doesn't have the same ring.



The sun shines through my half-closed blinds and screams "good morning!" between bird-tweets and rooster-crows (or at least imagined rooster-crows). I relish the natural alarm clock only because my electronic alarm clock is hidden, smashed, or on silent. It's Friday.
"What do I want to do today?"
Ah, such open-ended beauty. Friday is my sworn "no-homework" day (unless I enter a state of desperation). I can do whatever I want (until I think of things I can't), stay up as late as I want (because tomorrow's Saturday! No alarm!), drive wherever I want (gas-funds permitting), and sing as loud as I want (but I do that anyway, Friday or not). It is because of these glorious options that I have nominated Friday as a blog-day.

I am trying something new: consistency.
Not consistency of food or liquids (sit in my Swallowing Disorders class for more information on that), but regularity, stability, dependability, reliability (yes, I used my thesaurus).
I'm attempting to post on a consistent basis, partly to keep myself writing on a consistent basis. When I don't write for a while, I'm forced to wade through elusive words and absent descriptions, squeezing the sponge of decent wordage. I don't like squeezing that sponge, I'd rather have an overflow. I don't like sponges much at all (unless they're sea sponges because they resemble brains).



In no way am I limiting my writing to every 7 days. I will write when I'm inspired and I won't force inspiration (is that even possible?). But I hope that, in announcing and taking on this endeavor, I will choose to act upon moments of inspiration that I have frequently shoved aside and let fade.

So toast-and-jam to a new goal. We set them to break them, but the process still molds us and I don't mind being clay for a time.

No comments: