7.01.2011

Softball SLPs

Somehow, all things I currently love I once hated for a time. Speech therapy was one. Softball was another. On Tuesday night I united the two with double-sided tape. The result? A really smart, all girls, just-for-fun-but-we're-really-competitive-on-the-inside softball team that knows exactly what to do if someone gets pegged in the head mid-game and receives a traumatic brain injury (bonus: we do follow up speech evaluations! All for a small fee and a free softball).
Yes, my speech-therapy graduate department has put together a softball team. I couldn't be more pumped. My name was close to first on the sign-up list and my glove was already in my trunk. Our first double header was Tuesday.

I pulled out the hair-ties, extra-powerful deodorant, and athletic shorts (they're new. I'm branching out from Wyoming-garb and now own two pairs of shorts). As catcher, I've bonded with softballs in the face, the ankle, the head, and the knees. Bats aren't as friendly to meet, but they've knocked their overbearing personalities into my skull before.

Naturally, my head was more prepared than my body for the physical exertion. I took a few practice swings in front of the mirror (vain? Yes.) and popped-out my shoulder (not in a good way). My back already hurt (what am I, a grandma?), but at least I looked good. In fact, I looked ready to run four marathons with weights on my ankles and no water bottle without growing tired. A jog to my car and back (about eight yards total) trampled that delusion.

The games were exhilarating...until we started playing. We all matched. We were ready to have fun. We even had a new bat.
We lost 20-0.
Game two went better. We played four innings instead of three, but still lost 23-0. Not a single run. Not even a player past second base. I consoled myself with Relient K and grapes. Still, you'd be hard-pressed to see another graduate speech-therapist softball team do better in a double header before the night before an 8am exam. Hard-pressed, indeed.

1 comment:

ashley said...

it seems you had a safe trip. See you in a few weeks!